Buy a quality home from a professional, licensed builder
All Lake Norman HBA builder members hold a license from the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors.
For a list of our builders, click here.
Everyone interested in buying a new home wants to find a quality house built by a professional. Professionalism is a concept that is difficult to explain, but "you know it when you see it." There is no single definition of professionalism, but there are certain principles that a building professional will practice.
- Building professionals are licensed. Click here to verify a NC builder license.
- A professional builder believes homes should be well-designed, well-constructed and well-located in attractive communities with accessible education, recreation and shopping facilities.
- They feel a strong responsibility to their customers and their communities.
- Honesty is their guiding business policy, and they believe in dealing fairly with their customers, employees, subcontractors and suppliers.
- They try to build high standards of health, safety and sanitation into every home.
An important indicator of professionalism is whether the contractor belongs to a home builders association or other professional groups. Becoming a dues-paying member of such groups usually means a builder is an established member of the community. Through our national association, the Lake Norman Home Builders Association encourages research to develop new materials, building techniques, building equipment and improved methods of home financing so that home buyers receive the greatest possible value for their money.
The quality of a new home will, in large part, be determined by the skill of the building professional who constructs it. You should shop for a builder as carefully as you shop for the features of a home. You are not just buying a structure when you buy a new home, you are buying a package of services; the quality of those services will have an important affect on your enjoyment of the home. Do not rush through the process of choosing a building professional. Set a reasonable timetable for your search, and do not make your decision until you feel comfortable about what you are doing. You will be in frequent communication with your builder during the construction process and after you move into the house, so try to choose a builder with whom you will feel comfortable working.
For most people, buying a new home will be the largest single purchase they will ever make. So, make sure you buy it from a qualified, professional and licensed builder.